The subject of your doctoral thesis must be related to your field of study. There is a wide range of research groups at TU Wien. Therefore, it should be no problem to find a supervisor. A supervisor must be a person with a habilitation or a full professor.
Either you have an own idea for a subject or you can look for an offered subject.
You will find offered subjects
- at the database for offered theses,
- on the website of the Career Center
- on the websites of the institutes and research groups (the websites can be found on the sites of each faculty in Tiss – each website of the institutes contains the information about the research groups of the institutes) and
- in the bulletin of TU Wien
If you don’t find a proper offered subject, you also can contact the heads of the institutes and of the research groups of your interest. Sometimes doctoral theses are offered without publishing the offer. All contacts of the members of the institutes can be found in Tiss. You can find the information about the members of the research groups at the websites of the institutes.
If you have an own idea for a doctoral thesis, you should find a supervisor who can supervise your thesis. All contacts of the members of the institutes can be found in Tiss.
It is important to agree with your supervisor on your employment and place of work.
Can I study at the TU Wien, but have an external supervisor (not associated with the TU)?
Yes. In this case it is advisable to have two supervisors, one being the external one and another associated with the TU Wien. Since the thesis topic must be assignable to a field of study present at the TU Wien, there will in general also be potential advisors. This course of action is recommended because It provides some safety net in case of scientific disputes with your advisor, e.g., on whether the thesis is already mature enough to be handed in. Also, it lessens admistrative friction.
In case this is not possible and you only want external thesis supervision, you should talk to the dean of studies before starting your thesis and reach an agreement. He has to approve of the thesis topic, the advisor and also has to appoint auditors of the thesis.
In general, there are three possibilities:
- external advisor, TU doctoral student
- TU advisor, doctoral, student at another university
- TU advisor, TU doctoral student (but working elsewhere)
All of these modi come with some caveats: there might be more administrative friction, or the communication with your advisor might be more difficult. Drop us a note if you are unsure what to choose.
Not necessarily, but it is common practice.
Typically, a thesis is advised by both the group leader, who will oversee the progress, and a professor or post-doc, who will work with you more closely. In inter-disciplinary work, there might be two supervisors from the two fields you are connecting with your thesis.
Yes, it is. We want to answer this question only for changing the subject within the TU Wien. We have to distinguish between different possibilities.
- You want to change the working title of your thesis. Doctoral programme, field of study and supervisor are not going to be changed. In this case you should talk to your supervisor and your dean of studies and agree with them on the change of the working title. If you already have made the announcement of your doctoral thesis please do it again with the new working title.
- You want to change the research project, which is responsible for your funding. Doctoral programme, field of study and supervisor are not going to be changed. In this case you should talk to your supervisor. It could be that changing the research project means a changing of the thesis working title either. In this case you should talk to your dean of studies too, and if you already have made the announcement of your doctoral thesis please do it again with the new working title.
- You want to change your supervisor. Doctoral programme and field of study are not going to be changed. In this case you should talk to your current supervisor and to your new supervisor and agree with them on this change. You should agree with your new supervisor on the announcement of your doctoral thesis and the courses for the doctoral programme.
- You want to change everything - supervisor, doctoral programme and field of study. In this case you should talk to your current supervisor and to your new supervisor and agree with them on this change. It would be nice to inform the dean's office that you are going to change everything. You should agree with your new supervisor on the announcement of your doctoral thesis and the courses for the doctoral programme. Please note, that you have to apply for admission for the new doctoral programme (Admission to the Doctoral Programmes). You should agree with your new supervisor on the announcement of your doctoral thesis and the courses for the doctoral programme.
Please distinguish between personal problems and problems within the supervision. Of course it could be that there are problems within the supervision because of personal problems between you and your supervisor. We recommend to talk currently with your supervisor about the progress of your thesis. Of course this is not necessarily the only topic you can discuss with your supervisor. If there are personal problems, you should talk to him or her on this topic too. If there is still no possibility to solve the problem please contact us.